So I've been back from the Craft and Hobby Association's annual winter trade show (aka: CHA-W) for a few days now...and now that I've had time to relax and catch up on the home front I thought you might like my two cents. ;)
photo credit: CHA
While it felt like a smaller winter show then past years (there were "networking parks" set up where I assume they tried to sell booth space and failed, and all the booths combined were only in two of the halls), it was still a great show! This year I was blessed to be able to "walk the floor" and not be stuck in a booth all day. (Don't get me wrong, I love to teach and talk, but boy does it wear you out!!) So I actually got to see outside the path from the booths to the food & restroom! It was such a nice change!
some of "Love My Tapes" display
The major trends I saw at the show were washi tape, chevron patterns, twine...it's still hot! -Loved Lawn Fawn's twine since it's lightly waxed it's perfect for mixed media, alterables are still big along with DIY jewelry....everyone from Imaginisce and Creative Imaginations to Darice (who partnered with Tori Spelling) has a line coming out. And of course mixed media stuff! Check out "my favs" below to see what I love!
Speaking of Tori Spelling, I got to go to her launch party with Darice for her new [Styled] line of jewelry. It was an intimate get together, with mostly media in attendance. Tori got up and told us about the new line and how easy it was to use and we got to see the pieces and meet the design team that helped develop the line, and then it was time to mingle! Tori was very gracious with taking photos and talking to people. I was thankful to be sitting with my friends from Northridge Publishing who were interviewing Tori for an upcoming piece, so we got to chat for quite awhile. I do have to say that she comes off as "real"...and I mean really real...like she could live next door to you real. She talks like a real crafter...knows all our slang, and has such a mother's heart. She puts her family first and it was just really heartwarming to listen to her share examples of how she does that.
After Tori had to move on to talk with other people, everyone at my table were chatting about how down to earth she is. Talking with Tori was very much like talking with any of my friends in the crafting industry in that she's a real woman, wife, mother, and entrepreneur. It was good to see!
Tori & Erin at the [Styled] launch party
Oh, and Tori liked my necklace. ;) Every time she saw me she'd tell me that she was still loving it. Funny thing too, since I changed my top, shoes, and jewelry for the event because I love it too!
These are my top 5 favorite products (in not particular order) that are coming out this year:
1. Basic Grey Canvas Frames....they come with a pre-printed design on them that you can add paint, fabric, canvas, photos, etc to in order to make it your own.
2. SEI's fabric spray...Yes, finally a permanent color spray for fabrics! Hello new obsession for Erin!!
3. Ranger & Crafter's Workshop Dylusions masks...and just about any mask Crafter's Workshop makes. ;) Love them!!
4. Kreinik...a new to me manufacture...has iron-on thread!!! Seriously, my heart skipped a beat. Of course I love regular thread, but iron-on? How awesome is that????
Here's they are showing us how to make our own cording.
5. Kodak and Avatrex partnered up to create this cool substrate that you can print on and then apply it to surfaces such as shoes!! It's really cool and the perfect answer for people who have been trying to jazz up textured surfaces like yoga mats and flip flops with the look of screen-printing (ie: YuDu) and were unsuccessful!
What about paper-crafts?
Well, there wasn't a lot that's ground braking news....it's more of a "flowers in 'new' colors" type of year! There are lots of awesome papers and stamps coming out, punches too, just nothing that made me feel I have to have that right this instant....which is a little sad. I will give some honorable mentions for....
1. Bazzill's new washi tape and antique paper. The paper is thin...kind of like tissue paper but a bit thicker then that...it really has a neat feel to it like old paper.
And Margie (a vintage, totally Margie, line) and Janet (a travel-ish line) also came out with new great lines for Bazzill.
2. Heidi Swapp and Pink Paislee teamed up for a new release. Now I will have to admit that when I got the sneak peek emails online prior to the show I was not too thrilled with the line...however seeing it in person is MUCH more appealing! It has a less juvenile look in real life then the emails showed....also, the display & samples in the booth were terrific.
Love the concept of using these cool file folders for scrapbooking
Love the patterns for the Color Wonder line
3. Love the new colors of Gelatos from Faber-Castell as they continue to expand the Design Memory Craft line.
I uploaded all the photos I took at CHA to my Flickr account so you could see them...so feel free to browse through the slide show of them. I tried to take photos of the manufactures name when I was in a booth so the photos around the "name" photo are where those products and project samples came from...I will update the photo descriptions on Flickr when I have time.
Disclaimer: I work with the following companies that are mentioned in this article and my doing so had no baring on me reporting on them in this article....I only report what I really think not what I'm paid to like. ;) (Imaginisce, Northridge Publishing, and Faber-Castell)